Semester in Chicago

This is my public journal while I'm in Chicago until May. I look forward to sharing the details of all of my new experiences while I'm in this fantastic city!

Monday, May 01, 2006

From the other Janelle...

I borrowed this post from Janelle van der hoek about our apartment building. Our experience is exactly the same. We're three floors down from these girls in the same layout room!

...and then there was the apartment...

For those who haven't experienced the wonders of Canterbury...you should. Living in a one bedroom apartment, three girls, and it is still $400 a month for rent...and yes, that is for each of us...not in total. I didn't think it was too bad when we looked at it the first couple days in coming here and so we signed all the needed documents and started moving in on Saturday...a very long time ago.

That is when the adventures began: my roommates found a dead cock roach in a cabinet, we found out that for some reason the water comes out of our kitchen sink very cloudy and almost white so we went to the store and bought a brita filter, that same water doesn't get very hot (which is not good for washing dishes), but for some reason or another...when taking a shower you may (or may not) get scalded by our possessed water spout in the bathtub. I am lucky not to have been the first one to experience this, so my first time wasn't all that bad - I didn't get burned too bad and I tried jumping out of the way of the water. Now, of course, I am a pro at it...as anyone will be after three months of experiencing this. At first I was always tense, would barely go under the water...but one just has to learn not to put the water too hot - in fact just keep it warm so that when it does give the sudden burst of hot water...it won't scald you too bad. And of course...there are the seconds, only moments before it gets hot where it warns you...the water will suddenly lose its power (for just a brief, very short second...just enough time to run to the opposite side of the bath)...and then it comes with full force and is boiling hot.Then there is the toilet. People have a good laugh when they first come over because it is a toilet that one would normally see in a bathroom stall somewhere at a college or a restaurant or something...but in an apartment? I thought the same thing too when we went to our hotel and it had the same type of toilet - I guess it is just a Chicago thing...who knows. And as a couple friends who came over (you know who you are) they said "you could flush anything down that toilet!" Even though it looks like a toilet you will see in a bathroom stall somewhere, it still has the same power of one of those.Not in our room, but in my friend's studio apartment, they have two beds...murphpy in fact...yes, for those of you who don't know what those are, they are the ones you pull out of the wall and can fold them back into the wall if needed.

And who could ever forget the great moments we had with the cable guy - can I just say he was very strange and could possibly have multiple personalities because everytime we would call he would have a different accent and sound completely different than the time before. Go Comcast! (I can't forget how he tried to rip everyone off by saying that we all need HBO)

So those are just some of the few great things that Canterbury has to offer. I don't want to frighten anyone from going there though...it is a great place to live and I would definitely recommend to live here rather than somewhere else. It has a great community with a wonderful night life around and many opportunities nearby to have a great time and enjoy Chicago! The pictures down below can speak for themselves...but I will describe them too :). Our living room, our bedroom, me in the shower...and yes...the toilet. All I can say to sum up my memories of it...oh Canterbury...